Room spell Bug

Started by y2duhh, Oct 21, 2014, 09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stalkerr

Btw lets not act like you didn't have full chance to know exactly how room spell mechanics worked...its been explained completely to you in the past.

Jumpin Jack Flash

Saint = -200 down
Good - -50 to 199
Neutral = -49 to 39
Seedy = 40 to 79
Outlaw = 80 to 119
Criminal = 120 to 209
Villian = 210 to 299
Fiend = 300 up

So, I use the legitimate ?set mineps = -49? command, and my evil points will halt at -49, allowing me to maintain neutral status for scripting purposes.  However, I am still ?earning? -1 ep per hour of gametime, but due to the ?set mineps? command, my alignment is frozen at neutral. 

When I later choose to remove the ?set mineps? command, and allow myself to become good, I gain all of the acquired evil points in a single ?tick?.  So, if my character naturally acquired neutral status through gametime played and natural EP ticks, then I use the ?set mineps? command, I can freeze my alignment at neutral, but my gametime continues to accumulate.  So, let?s say I freeze my alignment, and script for two weeks without interruption.  This equates to 300+ hours of gameplay, during which time I have been accumulating evil points.  So, when the freeze is lifted by me changing the ?set mineps -200? command, the game mechanics will see the amount of playtime associated with my character, and adjust my evil points accordingly.  I will gain 300+ evil points in a single tick, effectively going from Neutral to Saint in a flash. 

As a neutral-quested character, even before the set mineps command was available, I would use shopkeepers in town to keep myself somewhere around -40 eps, on the cusp of neutral and good.  So, when I decided to engage in pvp, I would allow myself to become good for a couple of days, then engage in PVP to regain my neutral status.  The ?set mineps? command does nothing more than what you can do naturally in the realm, it just allows for a time-compressed transition to saint status.  But, I could have used the set mineps =199 command, to make myself on the cusp of good and saint, and the realm would have seen me move from neutral to good, a natural transition.  Nobody would have been any wiser to the fact that I was on the verge of Sainthood.  This is not a bug!  It?s a programmed process which allows users to set a minimum evil point setting for the purposes of scripting, removing some of the hassle of having to run to town and beat on some shopkeepers every few days.  The down-side is the continued accumulation of evil points, and the instant transition from neutral to saint.  However, Wyman?s biggest complaint wasn?t that I was a Saint prior to combat, he?s crying about me being a Saint ?after? combat!  Again, the game mechanics are designed so that a person casting a room spell doesn?t take evil points from someone else walking into that room after combat has engaged.  Also, not a bug!!  These are both well-documented issues that the entire realm is familiar with.  I?m done beating a dead cleric?..errr, horse, so I won?t explain myself anymore, and although I disagree with the ban, I?ve accepted it!  Wyman, Watts and Co. need to accept there was no cheating here, no exploitation of bugs.  Maybe you don?t like how the game mechanics are designed, but they are what they are, and the entire realm is aware! 

Jumpin Jack Flash

Quote from: Crabster on Oct 22, 2014, 12:48 PM
48 hrs? seriously? this has DC cheatin bs written all over it....seriously ppls? push after push

You have no horse in this race, Crabby!  The rooms outside the Silvermere HOD are still clear for you to roam.

Greater

Quote from: Gardner Denver on Oct 22, 2014, 12:21 PM
This bug was used specifically to get to the White Forest and kill people.  ANY bug that allows you to go instantly from Neutral to Saint that is used will result in a 48 hour suspension.  Period.  It's cheating, period, and won't be tolerated.

You better be prepared to ban everyone using the mineps command then.

This is the price of work only being done occasionally. If new features bring new bugs with them, it takes a long time for them to be resolved.

Meanwhile, this bug is happening every time someone takes eps after a period of not taking them, or in Bane's case, as soon as he took mineps setting off. I don't see you throwing a fit about this or other bugs every time they're used daily.

Crabster

Quote from: Jumpin Jack Flash on Oct 22, 2014, 01:18 PM
Saint = -200 down
Good - -50 to 199
Neutral = -49 to 39
Seedy = 40 to 79
Outlaw = 80 to 119
Criminal = 120 to 209
Villian = 210 to 299
Fiend = 300 up

So, I use the legitimate ?set mineps = -49? command, and my evil points will halt at -49, allowing me to maintain neutral status for scripting purposes.  However, I am still ?earning? -1 ep per hour of gametime, but due to the ?set mineps? command, my alignment is frozen at neutral. 

When I later choose to remove the ?set mineps? command, and allow myself to become good, I gain all of the acquired evil points in a single ?tick?.  So, if my character naturally acquired neutral status through gametime played and natural EP ticks, then I use the ?set mineps? command, I can freeze my alignment at neutral, but my gametime continues to accumulate.  So, let?s say I freeze my alignment, and script for two weeks without interruption.  This equates to 300+ hours of gameplay, during which time I have been accumulating evil points.  So, when the freeze is lifted by me changing the ?set mineps -200? command, the game mechanics will see the amount of playtime associated with my character, and adjust my evil points accordingly.  I will gain 300+ evil points in a single tick, effectively going from Neutral to Saint in a flash. 

As a neutral-quested character, even before the set mineps command was available, I would use shopkeepers in town to keep myself somewhere around -40 eps, on the cusp of neutral and good.  So, when I decided to engage in pvp, I would allow myself to become good for a couple of days, then engage in PVP to regain my neutral status.  The ?set mineps? command does nothing more than what you can do naturally in the realm, it just allows for a time-compressed transition to saint status.  But, I could have used the set mineps =199 command, to make myself on the cusp of good and saint, and the realm would have seen me move from neutral to good, a natural transition.  Nobody would have been any wiser to the fact that I was on the verge of Sainthood.  This is not a bug!  It?s a programmed process which allows users to set a minimum evil point setting for the purposes of scripting, removing some of the hassle of having to run to town and beat on some shopkeepers every few days.  The down-side is the continued accumulation of evil points, and the instant transition from neutral to saint.  However, Wyman?s biggest complaint wasn?t that I was a Saint prior to combat, he?s crying about me being a Saint ?after? combat!  Again, the game mechanics are designed so that a person casting a room spell doesn?t take evil points from someone else walking into that room after combat has engaged.  Also, not a bug!!  These are both well-documented issues that the entire realm is familiar with.  I?m done beating a dead cleric?..errr, horse, so I won?t explain myself anymore, and although I disagree with the ban, I?ve accepted it!  Wyman, Watts and Co. need to accept there was no cheating here, no exploitation of bugs.  Maybe you don?t like how the game mechanics are designed, but they are what they are, and the entire realm is aware!

im sure this was exactly how DC wanted it to work when he helped implement it in....quite sure he had plans on usin it to his benefit at a later date....

Stalkerr

Quote from: Crabster on Oct 22, 2014, 02:30 PM
im sure this was exactly how DC wanted it to work when he helped implement it in....quite sure he had plans on usin it to his benefit at a later date....

If you are unhappy with the work I do on gmud, you have my permission to find another mud to play Mudinfo bbs advertisements.  You'll be happy to know many of them allow dupes.

Zetetic

With regards to walking in to the room after someone has engaged a room spell, there are a few bugs at play here - or at least differences to how MajorMud works.

A player should get evil points for a room spell going off and hitting players (assuming you are not hitting an evil player).
The player struck by said room spell should now be able to retaliate against the casting player under the standard retaliation period rules.

On MajorMud both of the above things would happen. If the casting player has warnings on, the spell will not fire. If the casting player does not have enough available evil points to account for the amount they will gain if the room spell goes off, the spell does not fire. The evil points would be gained for each player struck by the room spell, at the point that the round fired.

There was a known bug where if you were hidden in a room and a room spell was dragged on to you, the casting player would not gain the evil points, and the hidden player would be struck by the spell. I cannot remember whether this was still in effect in version p, but I am fairly sure it was the case in version o. Unless we intend to add the system where a player can hide in a room for a brief period after entering the room, even if there are monsters present, this bug can only affect us on GreaterMud in some very specific circumstances, as you cannot drag room spells. It is still worth accounting for though, as we'd be better off fixing this intelligently if we can. I have some ideas for how to work it that I think would be fair, and can give a decent logical flow for it if you'd like.

One more interesting behaviour on MajorMud was that if you invited someone to join your party (they did not need to join you), your room spell would not hit that player, and you would not gain the evil points. It was possible to use this to hit some members of an enemy group but not others.

Jumpin Jack Flash

Quote from: Zetetic on Oct 22, 2014, 05:27 PM
there are a few bugs at play here - or at least differences to how MajorMud works.

One more interesting behaviour on MajorMud

You see the problem with this post?

Stalkerr

Quote from: Zetetic on Oct 22, 2014, 05:27 PM
With regards to walking in to the room after someone has engaged a room spell, there are a few bugs at play here - or at least differences to how MajorMud works.

You guys are welcome to have w/e conversation you like about how it could work. However, I'm not interested in participating in that conversation.  I will state again: The way room spells function now is the way it is intended to work and the functionality some perceive as a bug was discussed in full prior to deciding on a final implementation. 

Gardner Denver

Quote from: Coarse Horse on Oct 22, 2014, 02:06 PM
You better be prepared to ban everyone using the mineps command then.

This is the price of work only being done occasionally. If new features bring new bugs with them, it takes a long time for them to be resolved.

Meanwhile, this bug is happening every time someone takes eps after a period of not taking them, or in Bane's case, as soon as he took mineps setting off. I don't see you throwing a fit about this or other bugs every time they're used daily.

I've suspended others for major abuse of this "feature".  Ask Wyman.  He and his crew got popped about this before.  As to the other bugs, I catch what I can monitor.  Not sitting online 24/7 looking for cheaters.

Greater

Quote from: Gardner Denver on Oct 22, 2014, 07:59 PM
I've suspended others for major abuse of this "feature".  Ask Wyman.  He and his crew got popped about this before.  As to the other bugs, I catch what I can monitor.  Not sitting online 24/7 looking for cheaters.

You're going to suspend people for bug abuse when the bug naturally happens over the course of play in a pvp realm? I don't think you are understanding how this works.

I can go Saint, wait 4-5 days and attack someone, then be back to Saint in an hour. I don't have any choice in the matter. I'm not "abusing" any "feature". I'm playing the game.
You can throw your threats around but at least understand that this is happening constantly with a lot of people who may or may not realize or understand why it's even occurring. That's why I said you should be prepared to ban just about everyone who actually takes and loses eps. The only people immune from this are Saints who never take eps or people who set their min eps and never take eps or toggle the mineps setting again.

Zetetic

Quote from: Jumpin Jack Flash on Oct 22, 2014, 05:54 PM
You see the problem with this post?
I am fully aware that GreaterMud is not MajorMud. However the room spell system as it is currently set up is eminently exploitable.

Quote from: Stalkerr on Oct 22, 2014, 06:05 PM
You guys are welcome to have w/e conversation you like about how it could work. However, I'm not interested in participating in that conversation.  I will state again: The way room spells function now is the way it is intended to work and the functionality some perceive as a bug was discussed in full prior to deciding on a final implementation. 
My apologies, I was unaware of this discussion. Would you mind pointing me to the topic, I was unable to find it in my search attempts.

y2duhh

Quote from: Zetetic on Oct 22, 2014, 10:01 PM
I am fully aware that GreaterMud is not MajorMud. However the room spell system as it is currently set up is eminently exploitable.
My apologies, I was unaware of this discussion. Would you mind pointing me to the topic, I was unable to find it in my search attempts.

agreed if this is working a designed can you please explain why a very powerful class has the abilty to take out a full party without taking an eps? if this is the case then retaliation should be initiated on both sides even if no eps are given.

Crabster

this whole thread is a joke....starting with DC and ending with Brodent....

Crabster

Quote from: Stalkerr on Oct 22, 2014, 03:48 PM
If you are unhappy with the work I do on gmud, you have my permission to find another mud to play Mudinfo bbs advertisements.  You'll be happy to know many of them allow dupes.

dont be angry.....ur a cheat and always have been....please keep bringin on new updates....the ep update i wonder if u wanted it to work that way and u knew it worked that way and noone else did and u were gonna exploit the ways u wanted it to work at some time as u did with ur cronies or ur update was riddled with incompetence and we are left with what it is.....former or latter u tell me? ur still a pos dc thru all these years...keep er real